For the Sake of Blogging: Terza Rima



I'm terza rima, and I talk and smile.
Where others lock their rhymes and thoughts away
I let mine out, and chatter all the while.

I'm rarely on my own - a wasted day
Is any day that's spent without a friend,
With nothing much to do or hear or say.

I like to be with people, and depend
On company for being entertained;
Which seems a good solution, in the end.
What Poetry Form Are You?


From Wikipedia:

Terza rima is a three-line stanza using chain rhyme in the pattern a-b-a, b-c-b, c-d-c, d-e-d. There is no limit to the number of lines, but poems or sections of poems written in terza rima end with either a single line or couplet repeating the rhyme of the middle line of the final tercet. The two possible endings for the example above are d-e-d, e or d-e-d, e-e. There is no set rhythm for terza rima, but in English, iambic pentameters are generally preferred.

This would be the first time I've heard of the Terza Rima. I've read Dante Alighieri's Inferno (and I want to read his Purgatorio and Paradiso once I get my hands on them) but I wasn't aware that his style of writing was called the terza rima. Of course, I read the translated version of Inferno so my translated version of Inferno might not have been written faithful to the original. Anyways, I am kind of intrigued by this style of writing. Apparently, Chaucer and Eliot are a few of those who have also employed this poetry style.

I might write one in this form but it looks like I'll have to study the pattern first. It looks sort of complicated. I'll see. I can't write poetry that well anyway when I'm not inspired and I'm not that inspired (at least to write poetry) right now. Though, I haven't been inspired as pertains to the arts lately.

Anyway, I'm going to go now. Until next time. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Schedule

fun fun fun at the fair!